Sunday, February 26, 2012

Newbury Park Mud Run & Amanda 5K Race

Daeton and I have been doing 5k races recently.  In the last month we have done three.  He wasn't interested in joining track this year, with Kaela.  He does not like or get along with the man that is the boys' coach for his age group so decided not to sign up.  I don't really like the guy either, so can't blame Daeton.  But we are still exercising.

The first race we did was in LA, in Century City.  It was a breast cancer race and fundraiser.  My dad, two of his friends and sister-in-law did the 10K.  My sister and Kaela walked the 5K and Daeton and I ran/walked/jogged the 5K.  I'm not in good enough shape yet to run the whole thing so I have to walk some and run again.

The next race was the Amanda McPherson 5K.  This was in Simi by a gym.  After the run there was a small carnival and everything was free.  Food, bouncie houses, face painting, etc.

As a joke with Daeton and I, I HAD to take this picture.  We saw this man the week before and he had someone riding a motorcycle and him running after it. I'm guessing this race they didn't allow it, so he raced after the guy on the bicycle.  I'm SURE it is because it helps him pace himself but Daeton and I were joking that there must be a carrot on the motorcycle or bike and the runner is chasing after it.
 The walk were around the new mall in Simi, behind it, and back to the gym.  We did the loop two times.
 Daeton ahead of me.
We saw a few friends there.  Some people told me they were there but we never saw them.  Erin, and her family.

 A group of three artists took people and drew a cartoon portrait of them.  A very nice man drew Daeton and I, I had his girlfriend take our picture with my camera.  He wouldn't let me look at the drawing until he was done, so she held my camera and gave it back when he was done drawing.

 Daeton and Steve from Tutti Fruti.  He has a snow cone business that is mobile. The kids and I LOVE them. At this event they were all free too.
 Daeton enjoying his.  Yum!
 High school friend and his daughters.  Daeton and I got out pictures taken in front of this 'green screen' too.  The group donating their time and service were awesome.  (Our finished photos is below).
 Our numbers.
 The cartoon portrait of us.  Hard to see but the artist drew a picture of himself in my sunglasses, like he was looking at himself in the reflection.
 Us, on the football field at the 2012 Super Bowl.  ;-)  Cute, huh?  And Daeton held out his hand like he was holding the trophy.

Newbury Park Mud Run was the following week.  I have NEVER done a mud run. It was fun but not sure I'll do one again.  It was very early.  Daeton had gone to bed late the night before and he fell asleep for the 1/2 hour drive on the way there.

 We had to run the high school track one time, jumping hay bales and running through tires then go to the obstacle course. Mirna's friend took my camera and took pictures during the whole thing.  I am blessed he did this or we would have had almost none.

Mirna going through the mud pit.
 My dad going through the mud pit.
 My brother was next.
 Daeton was after my brother but the camera missed him.  Then I was last
 Next we exited the school and ran down the street, up a hill and back.  In muddy, soaking wet clothes and shoes.  Not fun.  We kinda thought the race was more mud and less running.
 After the 5K, we had to go back through, and circle back around the obstacle course, on the other 1/2.  Then we came back through the front of the school and crossed the finish line.

A group picture of all of us.
 We felt more cold and wet than muddy.  It wasn't thick gloppy mud but rather a wet dirt.
 Brian and Mirna had it dried on their faces.
 We ALL had bloody knees from climbing under the flag ropes.  We weren't suppose to crawl, we were suppose to slither on our bellies.

 Pictures are a little bit jumbled but here is Brian on the second half of the obstacle course.
 My shoes and socks used to be white.
 Afterwards we waited for them to tally everyone's times and announce the winners.  I knew Daeton and I did not win.  We were both too tired to do the race well and walked most of the way back down the hill.  He was tired and hanging on my arm.  The Sheriff that was blocking the street from traffic said we were taking too long and said we had to cross at the light, pushing the cross-walk button because he was leaving.

Daeton dug into a tri-tip sandwich from Cronies and thoroughly enjoyed it. I bought one too and he ate 1/2 of mine.
 The winners were announced.  My dad placed in the of the men's (but they only called up the top three of each group) and Mirna placed first place in the women's group.  She beat two high school girls. :-)
These races are fun and make me accountable to exercise more.  I'm glad I have Daeton to run with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment