Sunday, October 2, 2011

Embroidery 101?

I have not done any embroidery since, well, about Jr High. No, I'm not kidding.  I remember having a 'Home Economics' class where 1/2 of the class was cooking and 1/2 of the class was learning different ways to sew, embroider, knit, crochet, etc.  That was about 27 years ago!

Can you guess how much I still remember, or for that matter, use?

Zero.

My friend, Kim, taught me how to knit (again) about 5 years ago and I can make a scraggly looking scarf. But we never got further than that, and she moved to Ridgecrest so the lessons sorta ended.  I keep telling myself that I should start again, but I tried about 2 months ago and I couldn't figure out how to cast-on.  I need to see if I can find it on You-Tube!

I also remember, back in Jr High, making small embroidery squares that we would put cotton under, glue to a lid of a Mason jar and then put the ring on top of it to keep it on.  I gave one to my Grandma D. (as we called her) when she  was still alive with something like candy inside.  I can't remember what happen to the other ones.

So, I saw this website, Clover And Violet, on my friend, Janine's blog, and was fascinated with how EASY it looked and some was vaguely familiar.

Should I go buy the supplies and try to relearn?  Do I have time?  Ugh! I'm not sure. But I would love to be craft again.  These would be great for Christmas too AND I can teach the kids to do them.  Hmmmm...  I'll have to see if I can find some easy patterns and teach myself and then them how to do them!

:-)

Here is sorta what the ones I remember in Jr High looking like, but we put cotton balls under the fabric to make them soft and rounded.   Embroidered Jar Lids  I did a search on the internet and most were flat.  The puffy ones had pre-cut round cotton to put under.  I guess what ever is easier will work.


No comments:

Post a Comment