Friday, September 30, 2011

Saturday's visit to the ER

Well, in my last post I mentioned Kaela being sick so I wasn't surprised when Daeton got it next.  However he got it 100 times worse and 4 times as long.

Kaela got sick Thursday morning. She vomited about five times.  Was tired most of the day. Tossed around all night long with stomach pains and cramps and had diarrhea once the next morning.  The rest of Friday she had a headache but was better.

Daeton got it Saturday morning.  He ended up missing his football game that we were all ready to go to.

He woke up tired.  Started making dashes for the bathroom about 8am and I gave him anti-diarrhea medicine. Started vomiting about 10am and didn't stop.  Their dad came and took Kaela only for his weekend and left Daeton to stay home.

I took Daeton to Urgent Care about 1pm because he was still having it come out both ends.  Daeton was throwing up in the dr office trash can for his whole visit and exam but the doctor said to go buy over-the-counter diarrhea medicine and that was it.  I told him Daeton needed anti-nausea medicine or he'd be dehydrated and in the ER.  The doctor said, 'You might be right but he isn't there yet so I'm not going to prescribe it for you.'  (yes I was pissed).

So, about 6:30pm, when Daeton was still sick and racing for the toilet, I got him dressed and took him to Simi Valley Hospital's Emergency Room (ER).  We were very fortunate to arrive to the place being almost empty.  Before I even signed Daeton in the triage nurse (that checks in patients) had him in a wheelchair and asked me to check him in with the front desk (they get insurance card, verify address, name, dob, etc) while she started on his vitals.  From there they put a id bracket on him and took us to a hospital room (still in the ER).

We waited about 10 minutes and the doctor came in, checked on him and I told him that Daeton'd been vomiting and having diarrhea for about 12 hours by this time and that the Urgent Care doctor had done nothing.  The ER doctor wrote up orders and about 30 hour later Daeton had an IV drip to hydrate him and they put the anti-nausea medicine in the IV line.  They also gave him (in the line also) some pain medicine for the stomach muscle spasms and pain.

When were were at the ER the doctor called Daeton's pediatrician (that was on call, thankfully) and he said he wanted us to do a follow up call with him on Monday, in his office.  I really like the kids' pediatrician and wish he had been the one to be there when we went to Urgent Care.

We were there for over 5 hours. They gave him three full IV bags for 'sugar water' to hydrate him.  I'm not sure exactly what it is but that is the layman's term for it.  He had stopped vomiting immediately after the anti-nausea medicine had been administered but they still have me two to take home (that devolve under the tongue) and a prescription for five more.

That night he slept for from about 1am until 5am and then tossed around until 6am and woke up saying his hands were hurting him.  I called the ER nurse and she couldn't think of anything that would cause his hands to be hurting him.  He described it as needles stabbing through his hands.  I think it was due to the high amount of fluids in his body and that he was feeling a tightness, like water retention, in his fingers.  I heated up the 'rice sock' as we call it and gave it to him and he hugged it with both hands and fell back to sleep.  About 1/2 hr later, when the rice sock had cooled off, he was tossing again and in pain.  I reheated it and he hugged it and went back to sleep.

He woke up about 8am, went to the bathroom and his fingers were okay and he didn't remember them hurting earlier (he must have been too tired and sleepy).

On Sunday he was tired, very sore- especially from vomiting for so many hours, and had a headache but felt better.

On Monday it was MY turn.  I did not vomit at all but did race for the bathroom a few times and then had a headache and was VERY tired.  I was okay the first 1/2 of the day but napped from 1-2:30. Got up and took the kids to Daeton's pediatrician appointment.  Got home and fell back asleep from about 3:30-8pm.  I was up on/off in that time for the kids asking questions or talking to me.  Kaela made them both dinner of Hot Pockets.  I got them to bed about 9pm and went back to sleep until 8:30 the next morning.

And so, on Tuesday we all were healthy but the days of Daeton not taking his ADHD medicine (from when he was sick) caught up to him and he didn't wake up until 10:30 am, was cranky and grumpy all day and then napped from 2-4:15pm.

I made him go to football but to sit on the sidelines and watch the plays the kids were learning but not practice  or exercise at all.

and... now I think we are recovered besides the 101 things of 'catch-up' I need to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment