Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Yikes! Gas prices

Okay, everyone has been complaining about the gas prices. I too know that they are high. Right now it takes over $100.00 to fill up my van (Chevy Astro). I bought my van in July of 2000 and back then it cost about $47-49 to fill up. I know my van does not get the same fuel economy as it used to but this is still aprox. double the price of gas in 8 years!

BUT, is it REALLY that expensive? My friend, Janine, was telling me about canceling her travel plans when visiting her family due to high gas prices. Well, I saw this great article and it put it into perspective in a different way. This is from Carschooling Ezine June 2008, Vol. 2, Issue 4. It is a free email list with YahooGroups and also she has her own book and website. Anyways, read below. Please post and tell me what you think!


Don't Be "Fuelish" By Letting Gas Prices
Spoil Your Family Fun!
Yes, gas prices are high, but don't let them cancel your family's summer vacation plans.

According to the California Energy Commission retail gasoline prices have increased an average of $0.87 a gallon since this time last year. Here's a word problem for your carschooler:

Question: If your summer road trip is 800 miles long and your car gets an average of 22 miles per gallon, and the cost of gas is $4.24 per gallon, how much will the gas for your road trip cost?

Answer: $154.18.

You'll pay $31.64 more for this year's summer road trip than last year's. Are you going to tell me you'd cancel a family vacation for thirty-two bucks? Feast on Ramen for one family meal instead of KFC and you'll have the extra cash you need.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl. Good for you. Your blog is interesting and cute. Little D and Baby K. Where the heck did you come up with that? LMAO. And who made you Garaged Queen? Got tips? Made only $34 last week on garage sale :O(~

    Smooches,

    Wendy F.

    ReplyDelete