Saturday, August 16, 2008

Portable EKG for Baby K

New update. The pediatric cardiogist, Dr. Leong, said the EKG in his office looked fine as well as the EKG that was done at the ER. So, he gave us a portable EKG to take home and she had to wear it for 24 hours. No symptoms ever happened in that time period.

When it all began, two years ago, I had noticed it used to seem to do with dehydration too, like from the time she woke up until the time she ate breakfast being too long. But at that time it happened about once every 6 months or once a year. But now it is random and is happening a few times a week.

I still have no answers. The EKG says she DOES have a heart murmur and she DOES have an irregular heartbeat. Both of which did not show up 2 yrs ago when we had Kaiser and saw a different pediatric cardiologist. BUT, the new pediatric cardiologist, Dr. Frederic Leong, said that neither of those should cause her to faint. He did an ultrasound of her heart and said it looked fine too.

So, I dropped off the portable EKG machine today. The doctor is supposed to review it and call me tomorrow or on Monday to tell me what it says and what we are doing next.

I’ve been checking her pulse all the time too. Tonight, at the dinner table, she was sitting down and said her chest hurt but only a little bit. I checked her pulse and it was faster then this am when I checked it after she had been doing jumping jacks. So, it might be that for some reason her heart starts to beat too fast and that is what is causing the fainting but then we have to figure out what is causing it to beat really fast at random times. This one, tonight, just lasted a few seconds of it hurting only and went away. No fainting or anything like that.

I’m hoping to have answers from the doctor soon. A dear friend is an occupational therapist and suggested calling the insurance or pediatrician and asking for a referral to a neurologist. She said I should do it now and not wait until it takes two more weeks to rule out the heart or not. So, I need to do that tomorrow (I should have today).

We are invited to go camping next week Tues-Thurs in Santa Barbara with my brother and sister-in-law so if we don’t have answers we might be mapping out where the closest ER is just in case! Since the doctor has not put limitations on things and wants her to do normal things I don’t want to just sit home and wait either but if we are going out of town it will be good to know where a hospital is at too.

No comments:

Post a Comment