Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Weather Conditions- High Winds

1:40 am and I am up. I've been doing computer work and was calling it quits for the night but decided to check on the tarp one last time. It covers the 'car port' frame that is on the side of my house. The last tarp fell apart. It was brittle from the sun.

My dad brought this one over a few days ago but it wasn't completely tied down on all four sides. This tarp wasn't the right one for the frame and was twice as wide as it is. My dad folded it back over a second time and on one side it was weighed down by the brick wall, on the back by my shed and the other side by some angle iron on the ground. I added my refrigerator dolly & lawn mower on that side two days ago, feeling that wind was coming soon.

And, now it has HIT! It started as a warm breeze around 8:45 pm and now is a severe wind advisory!

So, I checked on the tarp about 10pm and it was fine. I checked one more time before bed... It has fully blown off the frame and is barely there. The furniture dolly & lawn mower are the only things keeping it from blowing away.... And that would chaos!

I bunched it up as much as I could. Put the dolly & mower back on it, covering more of it. Put a large folding table on a section of it and put a metal crate on another section. I think it will be fine now!

It is so windy that I can't sleep! I am hearing my gate rattling, trash cans crashing and rolling down the street, and my wind chimes crashing around! I'm glad I decided to wait until the morning to put my trash cans to the curb.

The city is living up to its name tonight, 'Valley of the Winds.'

This below is from www.weather.com on my cell phone:


Local Severe Weather Alert for location

High Wind Warning in effect until 3PM PDT WED

... HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 PM PDT THIS AFTERNOON... * WINDS... INCREASING TO 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH. * TIMING... WINDS WILL INCREASE THROUGH MID MORNING AND THEN DIMINISH LATE IN THE DAY. * IMPACTS... DANGEROUS CROSS WINDS ARE LIKELY ACROSS THE AREA... MAKING DRIVING CONDITIONS HAZARDOUS FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. GUSTY WINDS MAY ALSO TOPPLE POWER LINES AND TREES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH OR GUSTS OF 58 MPH OR MORE CAN LEAD TO PROPERTY DAMAGE. &&

No comments:

Post a Comment