Friday, February 15, 2008

Homeschooling fun for Valentine's Day

Well, I had great plans for Valentine's Day. I thought I'd cut red paper hearts and sprinkle them all over Little D and Baby K's floors. I'd lead a trail to the kitchen table where their presents were. They'd wake up to the smell of pancakes and eggs, Valentine-style..... what is the saying? 'The best laid plans often fail.'

Well, Little D has a cold. It started with a cough and stuffy nose but he tossed and turned all night long last night. He was coughing in his sleep (with a bedtime cold medicine in him) and the coughing kept waking him up. He even woke up in the middle of the night to ASK for medicine. This is huge because he HATES taking medicine. So, I got nothing done. I spent the whole night patting his back, covering him up each time he kicked off the blanket and was then cold, and sleeping beside him.

So, this morning, NOTHING was done for Valentine's Day. :-(

I did make a nice breakfast. We had pancakes (I tried to make them heart shape but it didn't work) and eggs. I added red food coloring to both so we had pink pancakes and red eggs. I made waffles as back up too and all of those were eaten as well as the pancakes. The kids were not too keen on the red eggs.

Since Little D is sick I let them rest in bed (Baby K is also getting over a cold but it was a small one). They watched The Neverending Story. I LOVE that movie! LOL! They both enjoyed it too! (thanks to my mom and Mark that let us borrow the movie).

I set out the candy and Valentine things on the table in their place settings and when the movie was over they saw that it had all 'appeared'! They were actually a little disappointed. They thought they'd get presents and toys for Valentine's Day and Little D was asking for Legos! So, we talked about Valentine's Day and it's meaning.

We did not get much bookwork done. It was not worth the effort with them both sick. But while Little D played a Clue Finder game on the computer (new game that says it is 2nd grade level) Baby K and I made chocolate chocolate chip cookies from scratch.

While they were cooking Baby K played a math game on the computer that was really cute. It showed three grandfather clocks and a digital time at the bottom and she had to click on the correct analog time on the one of the clocks. When she got it correct a little mouse ran out and and ate a piece of cheese left where she had clicked at. She didn't even realize it was 'work' she was having too much fun giggling as the mouse turned into a triangle shape when it ate the cheese! (this link was from mathwizard. I'll find the link and post it later).

For lunch I made grilled cheese sandwiches and I grilled them in the waffle maker. This was a complete accident (waffle and sandwich maker look the same from the outside) but the kids loved it! Same sandwich, new look!

No comments:

Post a Comment