Wednesday, February 27, 2008

services for California

I've been asked by my friend Michele to compile a list of agencies, services, groups, etc. that are around to help people in times of financial need. There are a lot BUT most places have outdated lists. So, I'm going to see what I can do to create an updated one and to continue to update it with new or additional information. There might be more that I do not know about too, please let me know if you know of something to add. These are in no particular order.

  • Food services.
    1. Care and Share. in Simi Valley they are at 5924 E Los Angels Ave Ste F. A few bags of free food once a month plus you can go any time you want for unlimited bread products.
    2. Fresh Produce Giveaway. Last Thursday of each month at both the Simi and Moorpark Family First Five Neighborhood for Learning. There might be some in other cities as well.
    3. Easy St. place. Offers Fresh and canned food. Every Saturday at 12 noon
    4. Place Cristina told me about.Offers fresh meat, fruits and vegetables and canned/boxed items. Every Sunday.
    5. WIC/ Food Stamps Place.
  • Healthy Families. Cheap health care for children. For people that make too much to get Medical but can not afford full priced-insurance. The prices are different with each family but it is $60 a month for my two children and if I pay 3 months at a time they offer a discount.
  • Freecycle- Great places to get LOTS of stuff. Part of YahooGroups or you can find your city area at www.freecycle.org. I have gotten children's clothes, litter stuff and food for my cat, LOTS of toys and books, a bunk bed, etc. and have seen other furniture, clothes, kitchen items, gardening, etc. on this. EVERYTHING is free.
  • YMCA has a discount for families with lower income or financial needs. We only pay 50% of the member price for all classes or sports.
  • Catholic Charities in Thousand Oaks will sponsor you and pay an electric bill for you making it up to day. This means if it is overdue they will pay that and will call and pay any up-to-date current charges.
  • HEAP will pay EITHER your electric or gas bill up to day. You can only choose one. Depending on your income they will pay a certain amount. The min. amount when I went was $197.00 and it went up to over $300.
  • Ventura County Dept.of Animal Regulations will give a voucher for getting your cat or dog spayed or neutered. Some vets will do it too. I paid only $25 for getting our female kitten done. They also offer low-cost rabies vaccination clinics.

No comments:

Post a Comment